Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The incumbent will be part of a network of Risk Management 2.0 practitioners and will collaborate with the Chief Risk Officer and this network to ensure strengthening of risk culture across UNHCR. Special attention is paid to coherence, identification of systemic issues requiring a corporate-wide response, and sharing of good risk management practices and lessons learnt.
The incumbent shall engage with internal stakeholders, including with the Bureau and HQ, as appropriate, to align reforms and initiatives. Keeping the Representative/Director informed, the incumbent shall also engage with external stakeholders including Government offices, partners, donors, and (for in-situ posts) contractors and refugee/host communities, to maximize collective efforts to manage risk, and strengthen compliance and the quality of services provided to persons of concern.
For in-situ positions and roving positions, the incumbent will be in the first line of defence, supporting the Representative as the risk owner. S/he shall review the adequacy of risk management and compliance systems, structures, procedures and capacities within the operation, make recommendations as appropriate, and assist management in their implementation. For regional positions the incumbent will coordinate operations within their region in matters related to risk, compliance and oversight, as part of the second line of defence. S/he will assess the adequacy of risk management within the operations and provide advice, guidance and challenge to first line owners of risk who make and execute risk decisions. At the Bureau level, the incumbent will provide guidance to the Head of Strategic Planning and Management Service or the Senior Strategic Planning and Management Coordinator on emerging risks and related issues.
The incumbent may manage relevant personnel/functions relating to risk management. S/he reports directly to the Representative/Bureau Director, with a functional reporting line to ERM Unit with the exception of roving officers who will report to the Chief Risk Officer.
The grade level of the positions with this role can be P5 or D1 depending on the structure and location of the organizational unit in which the position operates. Positions at D1 normally report to Director/Representative at D2 grade level and positions at P5 to (Deputy) Director/Representative at D1 grade level.
In the Regional Bureaux, the incumbent is responsible for ensuring, in an effective and efficient manner which supports the Organization¿s Mandate, overall quality assurance and managerial support of operations, in line with the Bureau¿s 2nd line function, within the three lines of defence conceptual framework for effective control and risk management adopted by the UN system.
S/he will, further, cover the full spectrum of managerial oversight, manage performance and monitor the adherence of Country Operations to UNHCR¿s rules and regulations, monitoring, identifying and addressing any emerging issues and risks as appropriate. The incumbent also promotes a culture that is results-oriented, efficient and based on trust and pursues measures to ensure that inclusion, gender balance and diversity are taken into due consideration in staffing, resource allocation and representation at all levels throughout the AoR.
As a key custodian of the organization¿s standards of conduct, s/he will proactively establish a working environment where all personnel feel safe, heard, equipped and empowered to speak up; demonstrate no tolerance for sexism, gender inequality, discrimination of any kind, abuse of power, harassment or sexual harassment; foster ongoing dialogue on those matters; take seriously all issues of inappropriate behaviour and actions reported, whether formally or informally; and seek guidance and support as necessary to ensure that appropriate follow-up is taken, working on the basis of zero tolerance for any form of misconduct.
- Advise and support the Representative/Bureau Director on risk management, compliance, and oversight matters, assisting him/her in discharging his/her responsibilities and accountabilities to manage risks comply with policies and procedures;
- Ensure risk management, ethical and integrity considerations are integrated into decision making, planning, monitoring, evaluation, reporting and contingency activities in the Operation(s)/Bureau under the Area of Responsibility (AoR);
- Promote collaboration of different functions within the operation/Bureau/divisions to address cross cutting risks and issues;
- Support the Representative/Bureau Director in the implementation of oversight recommendations to improve risk management, compliance and quality of outputs;
- Represent UNHCR in relevant internal and external task forces/meetings on risk management and oversight matters;
- Work with internal and external oversight entities, develop and implement procedures to collect relevant data and efficiently track and report specific issues, trends and cross-cutting matters representing a high risk to the Operation(s) under AoR;
- Prepare or review and input to management reports to external stakeholders;
- Assist the Representative/Bureau Director in formulating the Operation¿s/Region’s communication strategy on risk management, compliance, quality and oversight related matters;
- With assistance from and in coordination with the ERM Unit, Global Learning Centre, and other Headquarter Services, as required, train UNHCR teams and partners to raise awareness of and skills in risk management, and to strengthen the culture of integrity and accountability;
- Promote and disseminate policies, good-practices and guidance on risk management in the operation/region. Provide field based support and guidance jointly with Headquarters for corporate risk management developments and initiatives;
- Provide regular updates to the Representative(s), Bureau Director, Chief Risk Officer and Inspector General on matters related to risk, compliance and quality, including on emerging risks and opportunities;
In-situ and roving posts only
- Coordinate and facilitate the risk review exercises with functional experts and management to agree on the corporate risk register, and appropriate risk responses; facilitate, monitor and report on the implementation of agreed responses;
- Analyse risk management, compliance, and oversight findings and recommendations. In coordination with the Bureau and HQ, identify lessons learnt and root cause(s) of recurring systemic issues in the Operation. Prepare summary reports, with recommendations, on significant matters requiring management action or intervention, or changes to corporate level policies/procedures;
- In consultation with the Chief Risk Officer, assess the methodology, tools and practices related to the implementation of risk management activities in the Operation to strengthen integrity identify root causes of risks, and propose mitigating measures with a focus on prevention.
- Represent the Representative or his/her Deputy in relevant risk-related internal and external task forces/meetings.
Bureau posts only
- Coordinate and quality assure the risk review exercise in the operations under the AoR. Monitor that appropriate action is taken to mitigate the identified risks;
- Coordinate and facilitate the Bureau risk review and ensure it reflects the key risks in the operations under the Bureau;
- Coordinate the development of cross-functional risk-based regional oversight monitoring plans of operations under AoR;
- Analyse risk management, compliance, and oversight findings and recommendations. Produce a regional risk report on a regular basis, summarizing key oversight themes and using risk information (e.g. metrics, risk indicators, incidents) to highlight the highest risks at the regional level, identify lessons learnt and root causes. Recommend improvements and enhancements on significant matters requiring management action or intervention, or changes to corporate level policies / procedures;
- Conduct risk-based monitoring and support missions to countries under their AoR to assess the adequacy of risk management and compliance systems, structures, procedures and capacities – report back to the Chief Risk Officer in order to help improve enterprise wide risk management methodologies, tools and practices.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P5 – 12 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 11 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 10 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
Business Administration; International Affairs; Political Science; Risk Management; or other relevant field.
Certificates and/or Licenses
HCR Risk Mgmt Basics & ERM Prg;
Relevant Job Experience
At least 6 years of experience in a senior managerial/leadership positions involving, amongst other things, responsibilities relating to risk management, compliance and quality of results. Knowledge of and working experience with Enterprise Risk Management frameworks. Experience in liaising with governmental and / or diplomatic authorities as well as international institutions and partner organizations. Excellent judgement with proven ability to deal with complex interrelated issues and strong analytical and problem solving skills to develop solutions that address root causes. Excellent communicator with strong interpersonal and writing skills. Strong management skills in collaboration, team building, capacity development and with ability to deliver quality results on time. Exposure to and experience in UN or humanitarian field operations and emergencies in various geographical locations and multiple functional areas. Demonstrated high level of integrity, objectivity, impartiality and fairness.
Good working knowledge of UNHCR’s mandate, field operations, organizational structure, and policies & procedures. Certification in risk management.
MG- Risk Management;
MG-Change Management (Tools/Design/Administration)
MS-Provide support, advice, and guidance in the relevant field;
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
Interested candidates should submit their application online on the UNHCR Career Page at www.unhcr.org/careers.html by clicking on ‘Vacancies’.
Closing Date: 19 August 2019 (midnight Geneva time).
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
- Adresse Dakar