Open to internal and external candidates
Position Title:Senior Human Resources Assistant
Duty Station:RO Dakar, Senegal
Classification:General Services Staff, Grade 6
Type of Appointment:Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date:As soon as possible
Closing Date :April 24, 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Irregular migration along the Central Mediterranean route is increasingly dangerous for migrants. Crossing the Mediterranean to Italy is by far the deadliest route, with 1 death recorded for 35 arrivals (IOM, 2016). In addition, human trafficking and other exploitative practices along the route are heavily affecting migrants during their migratory journey along the routes of the Central Mediterranean.
To meet these challenges IOM, with support from the United Kingdom Department for International Development (DFID) and the European Union (EU), has developed targeted interventions in 14 countries (Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Chad, Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Libya, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal and The Gambia) to protect the security, dignity and rights of migrants along this important and dangerous migration route and to help in improving the reintegration of returnees through an innovative approach. This will be achieved through different types of interventions including protection and assistance to vulnerable and stranded migrants, provision of direct assistance through search and rescue support, identification, referral and direct assistance to vulnerable migrants, assistance for voluntary return, support for sustainable reintegration in the communities of origin, the dissemination of accurate information on migration to migrants, potential migrants and communities, and the collection of data on migration flows. The aim is to strengthen the technical and material capacities of authorities and organizations involved in these areas so that they can ultimately take over the policies and programmes related to the protection and reintegration of migrants developed and/or strengthened in the region, with a view to improving the governance of migration in the region.
Under the overall supervision of the Senior Regional Resource Management Officer, and the direct supervision of the Regional Human Resources Officer (RHRO) and in close collaboration with the Human Resources Officer in Senegal, the Senior Human Resources assistant will provide support to the Human Resources functions in the Regional office (RO) in accordance with IOM’s regulations & procedures.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Contribute to the smooth running of the Human Resources Unit on a daily basis;
- Act as the focal point for the Staff Evaluation System for both RO and the country office (CO) in Senegal; assist in coordinating the performance management cycle of General Service Staff and National officers; Ensure that Probation evaluations are done in a timely manner;
- Assist in monitoring the implementation of the regional training plan in accordance with instructions from the Staff Development and Learning unit;
- Act as the focal point for time management both for RO and CO Senegal;
- Process all personnel actions in PRISM HR (SAP);
- Review dependents’ benefits such as insurance coverage, child/spouse allowances, and align entitlements with internal insurance rules and staff rules and regulations;
- Carry-out and monitor a wide range of Human Resource actions including but not limited to preparation of documentation for separation, classification, reclassification, promotion, disciplinary cases and coordinate with the Administrative Centers and Human Resource Management in Geneva as appropriate;
- Provide information to staff on their entitlements and responsibilities in line with IOM regulations, instructions and procedures. Respond to standard and more complex inquiries and refer the most sensitive ones as appropriate;
- Ensure staff files (both international and national) are organized as per internal standards and kept updated with all required documentation including attendance records, personal status form, family status form, personnel action forms, etc;
- Keep an auditable record (both electronical and physical) of RO and CO positions and recruitment files;
- Suggest and coordinate social events for both RO and CO Senegal with the aim of strengthening the working atmosphere;
- Follow up with the Operations unit on visa requests/renewal for long term consultants and new staff members; act as the focal point for the issuance of UN Laissez-Passer; ensure the timely renewal of UN Badges for all staff members; In collaboration with the procurement unit and the security unit, coordinate appointment travels for international staff/non-staff members;
- Assist in the production of HR reports;
- Monitor the HR office supplies and liaise with the relevant units for replacement;
- Provide guidance and training to and coordinate and monitor work of new/junior staff in the unit;
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent, or higher Diploma in Human Resources Management or related discipline with 4 years relevant work experience, or;
- High-school diploma with 6 years of relevant work experience.
- Minimum of four years of relevant professional experience in a similar setting & capacity;
- Ability to maintain accuracy & confidentiality in performing responsibilities;
- Experience in the UN system an advantage;
- Experience working with SAP HR system an advantage;
- Excellent computer skills, especially in Word & Excel;
- Strong interpersonal & intercultural skills;
Fluency in French and working knowledge of English are required.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences. • Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations. • Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making. • Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules. • Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably. • Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate. • Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behavior. • Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills. • Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities. • Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty. • Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems, and remains calm in stressful situations. • Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
Fosters a sense of team spirit by developing a shared understanding, accountability and enthusiasm for the team’s work. • Displays a high level of cultural awareness, sensitivity to different ways of working and leverages individual strengths in order to build a better team. • Shares credit for team accomplishments and ensures that the contribution of others is recognized. • Helps create a positive team spirit, putting aside personal considerations to help the team achieve its goals.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clients’ needs. • Anticipates constraints, identifies solutions and takes responsibility for addressing critical situations. • Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs. • Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives and demonstrates a good understanding of the impact of team’s and own work on external and internal counterparts.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
Disseminates and shares knowledge openly and actively contributes to knowledge/network communities for topics relevant to area of expertise. • Encourages knowledge-sharing across units/departments and ensures that knowledge is captured, recorded and disseminated appropriately. • Builds networks for the effective communication and exchange of knowledge and ideas and puts others into contact with various sources of knowledge. • Contributes to an environment that is conducive to innovation and learning.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
Proactively seeks responsibility in delivering towards the goals of the Organization. • Plans and organizes work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments are easily identified and progress is widely communicated. • Stands by the actions of team or department, publicly accepting ownership. • Takes responsibility of own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. • Seeks to share information with others, with due respect for diversity and the confidentiality of specific sensitive information. • Listens and seeks to understand without bias, and responds appropriately. • Shares information and keeps others up to date; actively seeks others’ views and ideas and respects their contribution.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org referring to this advertisement in the subject: “VN-RO-012-2019”. Application must contain a CV and a cover letter in a unique file.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 10.04.2019 to 24.04.2019
- Adresse Zone 3, Route des Almadies, Dakar