Position Title : Regional Evaluation Support Expert
Duty Station : Dakar, Senegal
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade UG
Type of Appointment : Special short-term ungraded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 16 September 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Internal and external candidates will be considered for this vacancy. For the purposes of this vacancy, internal candidates are defined as staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded or ungraded contract, including Junior Professional Officers (JPOs), staff on Special Leave Without Pay (SLWOP), and staff members on secondment/loan released by the Organization, unless otherwise specified in their contract. Staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded contract will not retain their contract type if appointed to an ungraded position.
The European Union (EU) and the International Organization for Migration (IOM) have developed the Joint Initiative for Migrant Protection and Reintegration in Africa (hereinafter “Joint Initiative”). Implemented in 13 countries (Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Chad, Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal and The Gambia) and in the Regional Office in Dakar through 14 specific actions, it aims to protect the security, dignity and rights of migrants along this important and dangerous migration route and to help improving the reintegration of returnees through an innovative approach.
This will be achieved through different types of interventions including protection and assistance to vulnerable and stranded migrants, assistance for voluntary return, support for sustainable reintegration in the communities of origin, the dissemination of accurate information on migration to migrants, potential migrants and communities, and the collection of data on migration flows. The Initiative will aim at strengthening the technical and material capacities of the authorities and organizations involved in these areas so that they can ultimately take over policies and programmes related to the protection and reintegration of migrants in the region, with a view to improving the governance of migration in the region.
Under the overall supervision of the Regional Programme Coordination Officer and under the direct supervision of the JI Regional M&E Officer, the successful candidate will assist in the management and implementation of all coordinated evaluations in the region and ensure effective oversight and technical support at national and regional levels are provided. The candidate will also assist relevant entities in the implementation of any other external/internal evaluations related to the Joint Initiative, including donor-led evaluations.
The position will be based in the Regional Office for West and Central Africa in Dakar, Senegal.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- In close consultation and coordination with the JI RO M&E Officer, assist in the coordination with country offices of the planning, implementation and follow-up of all the IOM-led evaluation exercises under the Joint Initiative (reintegration evaluation and final evaluations).
- Assist in the planning of any additional internal evaluation related to the Joint Initiative that may be foreseen.
- Support the JI M&E Officer to act as regional focal point for external evaluations and third-party monitoring contracted by the donor and provide guidance and support to countries as necessary.
- Support the Coordination Unit in its liaison with the donor on evaluation and provide timely updates to the management.
- Assist in the development of TORs for evaluations and when necessary coordinate the Calls for Proposals to hire consultants to support the implementation of evaluation. Liaise with relevant units/offices to ensure recruitment and deployment of the consultants.
- Assist in the organisation of the documentation review and interviews to be conducted by the evaluation teams, ensuring all relevant stakeholders are included in the sessions.
- Contribute to the development of a set of evaluation tools for a harmonized approach of JI EU-TF evaluations, as well as to the review of data collection tools and methodologies agreed upon with the evaluators and respective COs.
- Monitor and help to implement strong feedback loops to promote program learning.
- Ensure that the evaluation processes follow the intended timeframe and assist in the solving of any bottlenecks that may result in delays in the evaluations’ timeframes.
- Assist in monitoring and responding COs/evaluation team requests and intervene when appropriate to ensure the evaluations’ quality and timelines are not unduly compromised.
- Ensure that the evaluation teams and the COs adhere to IOM’s evaluation standards and provide technical support to the country offices to correctly interpret and implement these standards.
- Ensure that the evaluations address any performance monitoring requirements agreed upon with the donor and that all deliverables (inception report, final draft report and final report) meet IOM’s standards and donor requirements.
- Assist in the development of quality assurance processes for the evaluations, by establishing for instance a technical review committee or a management steering committee.
- Work with the Country Offices to develop Learning, Dissemination & Knowledge Management Plans for the evaluations’ findings.
- Carry out field visits to Country Offices as needed to monitor the implementation of the evaluations.
- Assist with responding to requests for information from the third-party monitoring firm(s) contracted by the donor.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, International Relations, Social Research Methods, Data Science or a related field from an accredited academic institution with at least two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Two or more years of experience in the field of evaluation;
• Experience coordinating large-scale, multi-country evaluations, preferred;
• Expert knowledge of MS office and advanced data science and/or statistical skills including knowledge of database management, statistical and project management software is a strong advantage;
• Knowledge of qualitative as well as quantitative evaluation methods;
• Experience disseminating findings and transferring evaluation results into actions
• Proven experience in data management, analysis and reporting in a humanitarian or development context;
• Data visualization skills an advantage;
• Experience conducting trainings and developing capacity building activities to support country office teams is an asset;
• Knowledge and understanding of the migration issues in the region is an advantage;
• Experience in West and Central Africa an advantage;
• Previous work experience in similar EU-funded initiatives is an asset.
For this position, fluency in English and French is required. Working knowledge of Portuguese and/or Spanish is an advantage.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
No late applications will be accepted.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 16 September 2019 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 27.08.2019 to 16.09.2019
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: CFA 2019/49 – Regional Evaluation Support Expert – Dakar, Senegal (56117625) Released
Posting: Posting NC56117628 (56117628) Released
- Adresse Dakar