Special Vacancy Notice
Open to internal and external candidates
Position Title:Project Officer
Duty Station:RO Dakar, Senegal
Classification:National Officer, Grade NO-A
Type of Appointment:Temporary, 9 months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date:As soon as possible
Closing Date:May 8, 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
IOM, in partnership with the International Centre for Migration Policy Development (ICMPD) and the International Labour Organization (ILO), is currently implementing the FMM Project in support of free movement of persons and migration in West Africa. FMM West Africa is jointly funded by the European Union and ECOWAS. The project aims at maximising the development potential of free movement of persons and migration in West Africa. To this end, it supports migration data management, border management, labour migration and combating trafficking in persons in West Africa.
The project is designed to support the ECOWAS Commission in its role as a regional platform for migration policy development, strengthen the Migration Dialogue for West Africa (MIDWA) as well as build the capacities of ECOWAS in managing migration and exploring the benefit of ECOWAS free movement protocols.
Under the overall supervision of the Regional Director and the direct supervision of the Senior Regional Labour Mobility and Human Development Specialist based in Dakar, Senegal, and in close collaboration with the FMM Programme Manager and the IOM Offices in West and Central Africa, the incumbent will be a regional liaise responsible for overseeing all activities related to policy development and migration data within the framework of the FMM West Africa project. S/he will support the Labour Mobility and Human Development (LHD) department in research and project development and monitoring.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Support the FMM Team with background research and analysis in view of developing follow up projects and way forward, as well as exploring further opportunities to ensure continuation of FMM achievements.
- Provide coordination support for the UNISS Strategy for the Sahel and support Sahel Resilience joint project efforts and coordinate with relevant partners.
- Support the revision of the draft national Migration Profiles and Migration policies for each ECOWAS Member State and follow up on their status with the relevant IOM missions.
- Support the RTS and the FMM Programme Manager in following up on all relevant activities of the project, specifically those related to policy development and data management.
- In coordination with the PRM and EUTF programme manager in Dakar, suggest how FMM project activities can be coordinated with other regional projects to avoid duplications and maximize synergies.
- Support LHD and regularly coordinate thematic learning and sharing in the region (organize regular regional webinars with relevant colleagues).
- Act as the regional Diaspora focal point (share relevant news, articles, reports etc. and support Diaspora-related developments).
- In close coordination with the FMM Public Information Officer, contribute to the monthly newsletters/articles/blogs to report on FMM’s programmatic achievements.
- Conduct research on key topics related to labour migration in West and Central Africa, identify project ideas and help developing a regional labour migration strategy in close cooperation with the RTS.
- Provide logistic support to regional meetings and event organization, including MIDWA, or other training workshops delivered by the LHD RTS.
- Contribute to ongoing tasks related to project development and management, fund raising activities specifically linked to the LHD portfolio, and attend meetings and events as required.
- Undertake any other tasks as may be required.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree, or equivalent, in Migration Studies, Law, Public Policy, Development Studies, Political Science, or a related field from an accredited academic institution, or;
· Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent, in one of the above fields, with 2 years of relevant professional experience.
· Experience in migration management and coordination and knowledge of comprehensive and coherent migration policy development is an advantage;
· Experience in project development is an advantage;
· Experience in data collection and analysis is an advantage;
· Experience at IOM and/or other UN agencies is an advantage.
Fluency in French and English is required.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences. • Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations. • Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making. • Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules. • Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably. • Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate. • Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behavior. • Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills. • Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities. • Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty. • Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems, and remains calm in stressful situations. • Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
Fosters a sense of team spirit by developing a shared understanding, accountability and enthusiasm for the team’s work. • Displays a high level of cultural awareness, sensitivity to different ways of working and leverages individual strengths in order to build a better team. • Shares credit for team accomplishments and ensures that the contribution of others is recognized. • Helps create a positive team spirit, putting aside personal considerations to help the team achieve its goals.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clients’ needs. • Anticipates constraints, identifies solutions and takes responsibility for addressing critical situations. • Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs. • Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives and demonstrates a good understanding of the impact of team’s and own work on external and internal counterparts.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
Disseminates and shares knowledge openly and actively contributes to knowledge/network communities for topics relevant to area of expertise. • Encourages knowledge-sharing across units/departments and ensures that knowledge is captured, recorded and disseminated appropriately. • Builds networks for the effective communication and exchange of knowledge and ideas and puts others into contact with various sources of knowledge. • Contributes to an environment that is conducive to innovation and learning.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
Proactively seeks responsibility in delivering towards the goals of the Organization. • Plans and organizes work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments are easily identified and progress is widely communicated. • Stands by the actions of team or department, publicly accepting ownership. • Takes responsibility of own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. • Seeks to share information with others, with due respect for diversity and the confidentiality of specific sensitive information. • Listens and seeks to understand without bias, and responds appropriately. • Shares information and keeps others up to date; actively seeks others’ views and ideas and respects their contribution.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org referring to this advertisement in the subject: “SVN-RO-014-2019”. Application must contain a CV and a cover letter in a unique file.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 25.04.2019 to 08.05.2019.
- Adresse Zone 3, Route des Almadies, Dakar