Position Title : Operations Officer
Duty Station : Dakar, Senegal
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 05 September 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Bahamas; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Djibouti; El Salvador; Fiji; Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic
Republic (the); Libya; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States
of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Papua New Guinea; Paraguay; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and the direct supervision of the Project Manager, the successful candidate will be responsible for the coordination and appropriate follow up of all operations related activities in the country office and ensure support to field missions in the West and Central Africa Region.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Supervise the logistical arrangements for migrants and refugee travel including obtaining relevant clearances from the government authorities. Ensure timely logistical arrangements with ground transportation companies.
- Communicate and coordinate with relevant IOM units, sub-offices and other IOM missions, International Organizations, voluntary and governmental agencies, embassies and other entities to support the processing and implementation of all aspects of the operational activities.
- Supervise the airport staff during reception and departure of migrants and refugees who are traveling under IOM auspices.
- Assist other missions in the region with Migrant Management Operational System Application (MiMOSA), movement management and migrant air tickets.
- Assist in overseeing the operational staff. Provide training, support and guidance in the usage of the in-house system application tools, including MiMOSA, IGATOR and the AMADEUS platform reservation system.
- Monitor all IOM Senegal movement operations activities related to resettlement, including humanitarian evacuation, repatriation, charter operations and returns.
- Contribute to maintaining a positive working relationship with IOM partners, including government officials, officials of resettlement countries, United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees and other key partners.
- Assist and supervise all staff travel requests from Country Office and Regional Office in Senegal and other missions in the region. Ensure the timely assistance for staff travel bookings as needed.
- Monitor the visa support formalities for incoming staff members and those traveling on duty (TDY). Assist the preparation of documentation needed for travel, provide counselling and orientation as needed. Coordinate these formalities with the relevant embassies and consulates.
- Oversee the implementation of family tracing and family reunification activities.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Science, Business Administration, International Relations, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in resettlement operations and migrant movements.
• Experience in organizing the ground/air movement of refugees, particularly in remote locations.
• Experience in refugee migration related issues.
• Experience in liaising with transportation providers, government and airport authorities.
• Experience with other resettlement countries.
• Thorough knowledge of AMADEUS, IGATOR and MiMOSA is required.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in French and English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Spanish is an advantage.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 05 September 2019 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 23.08.2019 to 05.09.2019
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2019/214 (P) – Operations Officer (P2) – Dakar, Senegal (56112110) Released
Posting: Posting NC56112129 (56112129) Released
- Adresse Dakar