Aperçu de l'offre
Position Title : Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
Duty Station : Dakar, Senegal
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Nine months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 08 May 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda; Bahamas; Cook Islands; Cuba; Cabo Verde; Djibouti; Fiji; Micronesia (Federated States of); Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Iceland; Kiribati; Comoros; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Saint Lucia; Lesotho; Libya; Montenegro; Marshall Islands; Mauritania; Namibia; Nauru; Papua New Guinea; Palau; Paraguay; Solomon Islands; Seychelles; Somalia; Suriname; Sao Tome and Principe; Kingdom of Eswatini; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Holy See;
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Vanuatu; Samoa
The European Union (EU) and the International Organization for Migration (IOM) have developed the Joint Initiative for Migrant Protection and Reintegration in Africa. Implemented in
14 countries (Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Chad, Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Libya, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal and The Gambia) through 14 specific actions, it aims to protect the security, dignity and rights of migrants along this important and dangerous migration route and to help improving the reintegration of returnees through an innovative approach. The Initiative will aim at strengthening the technical and material capacities of the authorities and organizations involved in these areas so that they can ultimately take over policies and programmes related to the protection and reintegration of migrants in the region, with a view to improving the governance of migration in the region.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM), the direct supervision of the Project Manager, and in close collaboration with the Regional Monitoring and Evaluation Officer and relevant specialists at Headquarters (HQs), the successful candidate will coordinate and contribute to the effective implementation of the Monitoring and Evaluation for the EU-funded initiative for Protection and reintegration of returning migrants to Senegal.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- In consultation with Project Manager and staff, contribute to the development of project standardized Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) systems including, M&E plan, tools, quality assurance mechanisms and data collection methods and procedures.
- Review existing monitoring mechanisms and reporting documents including but not limited to project-level M&E plans, data collection tools, Site Visit Notes and Evaluation Reports and propose improvements where necessary.
- Work in close consultation with Project Manager and staff, as well as with the Regional Monitoring and Evaluation Officer to consolidate and share as necessary relevant M&E information to inform project progress and improvement in line with IOM and donor requirements.
- Participate in the process for identifying the key performance questions, indicators and parameters for monitoring programme performance and achievements; contribute to the design of the format for performance reports.
- Assist in designing, testing and reviewing information and data collection tools. Provide technical guidance as required.
- Undertake regular field visits to coordinate the implementation of M&E and to provide procedural guidance.
- Coordinate and/or undertake and compile necessary project data collection tasks.
- Organize and provide staff capacity and training on specific M&E aspects.
- Provide technical support to other similar programmes and projects of IOM Senegal to facilitate a common approach.
- Provide support for evaluation and collaborate with the project team to draft management response to evaluation recommendations and assist with the monitoring of their implementation.
- Prepare, compile and/or review monthly, quarterly and/or annual internal and external project reports not limited to M&E.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Science, Business Administration, International Relations or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Proven experience with strategic planning approaches, M&E methods and approaches, planning and implementation of M&E;
• Substantial experience in the design and implementation of monitoring and evaluation plans in small-scale grants, preferably with experience in the field of research, monitoring and/or evaluation;
• Previous work experience in West and Central Africa, particularly on similar programming,
preferably operational and field experience in monitoring and evaluation of migration related projects;
• Sound knowledge of development programme planning and implementation objectives;
• Excellent use of Microsoft Excel, Access, Outlook and Word software;
• Ability to prepare clear and concise reports.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English and French is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of any local languages and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 08 May 2019 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 25.04.2019 to 08.05.2019
Requisition: SVN 2019/126 (P) – Monitoring and Evaluation (P2) – Dakar, Senegal (55945607) Released
Posting: Posting NC55945608 (55945608) Released
- Adresse Zone 3, Route des Almadies, Dakar