UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, hope
Rates of child wasting remain persistently high in West and Central Africa. It is estimated that, at any point in time during 2018, on average 7.9 million children suffered from the condition across the region (UNICEF, WHO & World Bank, 2019). Concerted effort is needed at all levels in order to be able to achieve global wasting reduction targets of <5%. UNICEF, in collaboration with Ministries of Health and partners, remains committed to achieving these targets and recognizes the importance of innovation, evidence and knowledge as key catalysts to achieve these ambitious targets. As such, UNICEF is convening a 3 day workshop in Dakar to connect global, regional and country stakeholders to discuss the latest evidence and design a collaborative way forward to the effective prevention and care for wasting.
The meeting, entitled; The State of Evidence, Policy and Practice on Approaches for the Prevention and Care of children with Wasting: 25-28 November, Dakar, Senegal
will focus on the most recent evidence, policy and practice with regards to wasting prevention and care. More specifically;
- The scope and scale of wasting across the region including; characteristics, context specific drivers, risk, mortality, and co-morbidity
- Latest evidence and practice on the prevention of wasting; multi-sectoral intervention models, complementary feeding, supplementary feeding, IYCF
- Latest evidence and practice on the treatment of wasting including; reduced dosages, adapted admissions criteria, single product, MAMI, relapse, family MUAC, Community Health and SAM treatment
The outputs of the workshop will be shared widely and used to design approaches moving forwards.
How can you make a difference?
Under the leadership and guidance of the WCAR Nutrition team the consultant will work on the following:
- Co-develop a detailed meeting agenda in collaboration with UNICEF WCA Nutrition Team
- Support the collection and review of literature, materials and data that will be needed to support the workshop through desk review and additional consultations with country offices/regional partners.
- Develop presentation templates and guidance notes and share with contributing partners
- Develop facilitators guidelines
- Review presentations
- Facilitate pre-workshop meeting with co-facilitators
- Co-develop group work methods and interactive sessions with UNICEF WCA team
- Run co-facilitators through facilitation notes and guidelines
- Ensure the meeting space is well adapted to the needs
- Identify individuals for note taking and minutes
- During the workshop
- Direct the facilitation of the workshop and ensure smooth flow and operation
- Report writing
- Survey report / workshop evaluation
Communication of action points and follow-up on immediate action points.
Deliverables and Schedules
Meeting agenda & format finalized
Literature reviewed, and presentations identified
Presentations Reviewed and Finalised
Pre-meeting briefings conducted
Workshop report finalized
Workshop evaluation submitted
- The consultant will be expected to work from home
- The consultant will be expected to travel to the WCARO for the workshop (10 days)
- The consultant is expected to use their own IT equipment for the purposes of this contract
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- University degree in social sciences and related fields
- A minimum of 5 yearsof relevant professional experience infacilitating and coordinating events, including regional/global ones, preferably in public health
- Languages – Excellent writing and communication skills in English and French
- Software – Good knowledge of MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The competencies required for this post are :
- Demonstrated analytical and persuasive writing skills experience as well as editing skills, including ability to convey complex information in a clear manner to a diverse audience
- Administrative skills and self-motivated with the ability to set priorities and manage multiple tasks under minimal supervision in effective and efficient manner
- Ability to work under pressure and respond to deadlines without sacrificing quality
- Technical knowledge of quantitative and qualitative analysis of various set of data and information.
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization. To apply, click on the following link http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/?job=526506
- Adresse Route des Almadies, Immeuble Madjiguène, Derrière l'Hôtel King Fahd Palace