The IRC is looking for an Associate Designer to join our Research and Innovation work, focused on Education programs, services and products. In this role, you will design learning programs for teachers, caregivers and students, rooted in the lives and needs of our clients all over the world. You will skillfully navigate the complex ecosystems we work within to ensure that our innovations can be implemented at scale with the maximum impact for the lowest possible cost.
We are looking for an open-minded, experienced and optimistic designer who is able to think strategically and to get things done. Having experience in the ecosystem of education will be a must. Whether you have worked with teachers in the past, taught yourself, whether you have designed for students or the PTA association, whether you have designed curriculum and learning activities…. We are looking for people familiar with the science of learning and the key teachers in the child’s life. Experience in education and technology is also very appreciated. Capacity to work in a multi-cultural environment, including education in low resource settings and to support pushing forward on different agendas would be a definite plus.
- Report directly to the Design Innovation Lead in charge of our education portfolio in partnership with the Deputy Director Programs of the Tanzania Country Program. Collaborate closely with our Education Research Lead and a multidisciplinary team of designers, engineers, researchers, implementers, educators and strategists, to design programs and services that improve children’s lives and give them a chance at a better future.
- Continuously work with IRC Tanzania Program teams and with students, teachers, caregivers and other stakeholders to co-design the most impactful learning experiences for students.
- Produce tangible physical and digital prototypes.
- Conduct design research and move quickly from insights to prototypes with various levels of fidelity.
- Produce a variety of materials and deliverables to support the design of such programs and services: user journeys, service design blueprint, strategies for adoption etc.
- Articulate pilot designs and monitor the progress of our innovations.
- Build capacity within our organization and close stakeholders to infuse design thinking in the humanitarian sector.
- Effectively communicate research findings, conceptual ideas, detailed design, and design rationale both verbally and visually.
- Input on different partnership developments and fundraising efforts when technical support is needed from the design perspective. Effectively communicate research findings, conceptual ideas, detailed design, and design rationale both verbally and visually.
- 3-5 years of professional experience in product design, service design or program design in a consultancy or equivalent position (e.g. in house in a non-profit or an education organization).
- Fluency in the human-centered design process from qualitative research and synthesis to ideation, prototyping, and implementation.
- Within the design process, prototyping and ideation are your superpowers.
- Ability to navigate very complex and challenging environments and to engage with a large range of stakeholders (from executives to children in crisis settings).
- Ability to work in a very self-directed way, and to collaborate with others at key moments of the design process. Ability to receive input and to take critique positively to improve program design.
- Demonstrates experienced working across different cultures and demonstrates high self-awareness. Particularly able to navigate low income and humanitarian settings.
- Enthusiastic and able to travel regularly to field locations and other countries where our projects happen for about 20%-35% of the time.
- Standard office work environment
- We anticipate this role to be 60-70% dedicated to support Tanzanian innovations, while the remainder of the time would be allocated to global education innovations. This could include significant travel to Bangladesh based on project needs.
Interested in applying? Please submit your application with:
- An updated CV
- A portfolio (link or PDF)
- Adresse Dakar