Vacancy Notice VN-RO-015-2019
Open to internal and external candidates
Position Title:Administrative and Finance Assistant
Duty Station:Dakar, Senegal (Regional Office for West and Central Africa)
Classification:General Services Staff, Grade 5
Type of Appointment:Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date:As soon as possible
Closing Date:May 12, 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
The United Kingdom’s Department for International Development (DFID) funded programme on ‘Safety, Support and Solutions in The Central Mediterranean Route’ (SSS-CMR) covers 10 IOM country offices. It is cross regional and cross thematic, focusing primarily on the protection of migrants along the Central Mediterranean Route.
Under the overall supervision of the Senior Regional Resource Management Officer, under the direct supervision of the Resources Management Officer (RMO) for the DFID funded programme, and in collaboration with the colleagues in the Regional Coordination Unit, as well as the RMO’s and Project Managers at country level, the successful candidate will be responsible for assisting the RMO in the monitoring of the financial and administrative operations of the above programme.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Assist the RMO in providing financial management oversight;
- Help organizing and maintaining the RMO agenda for calls, meetings, appointments, and streamline requests and workload as necessary;
- Act as a secretary for the RMO and ensure proper filing of all relevant documentation;
- Keep contact and maintain communication with colleagues from the relevant countries and obtain as needed reports, documentation to be used for spot checks and verifications;
- Prepare meetings as required, background materials and briefs;
- Maintain the roster of DFID projects per countries of implementation paying attention at the specific problems for each, and cooperate with colleagues in country offices to facilitate projects’ implementation;
- Maintain the library of Policies, SOP’s and general instructions to be shared with the DFID countries;
- Assist in the verification process, scan and maintain the library of project documents;
- Perform any other related duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance or a related field from an accredited academic institution with minimum 3 (three) years of relevant professional experience; or
- High-school diploma or Certificate with minimum 5 (five) years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in administration and finance;
- Familiarity with UN common system or similar systems;
- Experience or ability in preparing clear and concise reports, and effectively coordinating office activities;
- High level of computer literacy. Good knowledge of MS Office, in particular Exchange, Excel and Word. Knowledge of SAP is a distinct advantage;
- Dedicated person able to work in a multicultural environment.
Fluency in French and English is required.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences. • Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations. • Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making. • Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules. • Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably. • Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate. • Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behavior. • Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills. • Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities. • Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty. • Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems, and remains calm in stressful situations. • Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels. • Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities. • Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a « hands-on » approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives. • Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients. • Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services. • Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary. • Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives. • Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others. • Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration. • Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work. • Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization. • Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules. • Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand. • Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication. • Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives. • Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject of the email must be “VN-RO-015-2019”. Application must contain a CV and a cover letter in a unique file.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 29.04.2019 to 12.05.2019
- Adresse Zone 3, Route des Almadies, Dakar